[Jacob-list] UK Goat List

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed Apr 4 11:30:48 EDT 2001

This is a message from Mary Duvall, forwarded with permission from someone on the UK Goats List:

I am sorry to only appear with doom and gloom but I can't do otherwise at present.  I heard form George Ivinson in Cumbria today that his goats are definately to be culled with his sheep.  His arguments fell on deaf ears.
They have all been valued and will go early next week to be killed at Orton.  He would have preferred (not quite the right phrase somehow) them put down at home but this is not allowed.  He has asked that at the least they be separated from the sheep and that a separate wagon be sent for them.  This seems to be agreed.  He has been assured that the RSPCA are now present at Orton to oversee the killing.  This is the end of certainly one Charnocks line, as 9 year old Benna (kidded this year) and 3 year old Beaulie together with her female kid are the last remaining descendents of Ch. Beatrice and her daughter, CH. Belle.  Our male Bronemlyn will go too, and I am very upset that I do not even have a photo of him.  A very nice Mostyn milker, her first kidder daughter and their youngstock will also go together with a Skewbridge male.  The other BTs are all Actons or their descendents.  A very sad end to some super goats.
Understandably, George does not want to talk to anyone at present and asks that no-one telephones.  All his stock remain healthy, including his cattle, despite him being surrounded on all sides by confirmed F&M.  Both MAFF vets and the auctioneer valuers have commented on the good condition of all his animals.  As I said before, the world has gone mad.

                                                                    Mary Spahr