[Jacob-list] triplets

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Wed Apr 25 08:36:56 EDT 2001

Listers-
We had a set of triplets today out of Brindle Hill Abigail, a 2 yr old with a strong background of tripleting. (Good grief she is polific...5 lambs by the age of 2) Two very pretty ewe lambs and a kind of ugly male.  The last ewe lamb did not get colostrum before I came out to check on them early this morning. Was crawling around, shivering, skinny, and yelling at the top of her lungs.  Thought that was a good sign. Had to snitch whatever colostrum was left from Abigail and feed the lamb ourselves.
Colostum is to lambs what compost is to gardens... a miracle.  In a matter of hours the lamb fills out, gets full of strength and vigor.  Without it, this lamb looked so small and cold compared to her siblings.  Hope she got enough.  By the look of him, I think that ram drank most of it.  We don't usually jug, but did in this case with the addition of plenty of third cutting alfalfa and tepid molasses water.  Am thinking that last lamb might need to be supplemented for a while, although I believe strongly in leaving lambs with their mothers whenever possible.  Wouldn't want too many triplets, but this is fun anyway!  Katrina