[Jacob-list] Dog Problems

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Sun Sep 24 11:49:33 EDT 2000

We have coyotes around here.  Often hear them at night and can't help worrying but when we see them at work they are hunting gophers.  I don't shoot when they are doing that.  Once I did see a coyote make a short run at the grazing sheep who ran off and then it went back to other business.  Did have one coyote years ago pull a big lamb down in the early morning.  It was alone at the time and ran off when I arrived.  The lamb had been killed by a bit to the throat.  I watched where the coyote exited my field and had a trapper set a snare that afternoon.  Coyote was snared and shot the next morning.

I have had about six lambs killed over the years by neighbor dogs.  Two of the dogs were put down by their owners, the lambs paid for, and the bodies taken care of by the people with the dogs.  Another dog was kept but was rarely seen on the loose again.  The younger dog who was in on that older dog's transgression was killed.

A number of neighbors have seen a cougar in the field across the fence from my sheep and it hasn't bothered the sheep.  However I think it has been quietly killed by someone.  Not sure whether the llamas have helped or not.  Have had no kills by anything when a llama was in the field with the sheep.

mary