[Jacob-list] Dog Problems in Michigan

CindyMcDee at aol.com CindyMcDee at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 15:07:18 EDT 2000

In our state there is an old law on the books that lets farmers protect their
livestock regardless.  Of course, the young yuppies and policemen that don't
have agricultural backgrounds ignore it and tell us that we cannot defend
ourselves from wandering predatory animals, but a lot of law enforcement will
give you their opinion on the subject and they do not know or care about what
the law says.

The truth is that a person is allowed to defend their property.  There are a
variety of ways.  We went and bought a live dog trap to the tune of 99$ and
use nice hamburger or anything else to get the animal.  THEN........it
depends on whether the husband is at home as to what happens next.  He is a
softy.  I am not.  Sometimes, depending on the animal, I return it to the
owner, because I know it got out by mistake.  With one owner, I want to be
able to say that I would never harm his animals, so I trap his dogs and drive
them 3 counties over and turn them over as strays to the humane society (They
are never seen again!).  With other dogs, (I know the neighborhood dogs) the
strays, they simply disappear quietly, when the hubby isn't home.  I talk to
tons of old timers and they all have guns and stories to tell about defending
their livestock.  Basically, a wandering dog WILL destroy livestock.  Period.
 People that don't own livestock don't care about our losses.  So, it might
be considered guerilla warfare.

cindy j