[Jacob-list] Dog Problems in Michigan

2512 at nethawk.com 2512 at nethawk.com
Thu Sep 21 18:08:30 EDT 2000

Does any one know in Michigan if there is a livestock protection law that allows the farm owner to destroy dogs that are attacking his sheep?  We got home after work and found 2 neighborhood dogs in our yard.  One growled at my husband and he threw a rock at him, they ran down the road.  An hour later they were back.  I just called the Sheriff office and the woman told me that we should have called earlier before Animal control closed at 5.  I asked her what I could do about it now and she said "nothing" because it is not life threatening.  I asked (dumb me) if they were going after our sheep if we could shoot them and she said "absolutely not, you would be charged with malicious destruction of property!"  I asked if the owners of the dogs would pay us $3000 to replace our flock and she said that is not her area.  Oh goody!
 what does everyone else do?  Shoot/Shovel and Shut up?
One is a sharpai and one is a big yellow mix.
Thanks for any suggestions, some people just can't have a crisis before 5 pm.
Bonnie and Herb Sutten
Sheepy Thyme Farm
Edmore