[Jacob-list] Tetanus and horses

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Sat Sep 16 13:19:31 EDT 2000

The only disease I've heard connected to horses is sore mouth. My goat
herd came down with it last year after escaping their pasture and
rumaging through the neighbor's horse barn. The vet said, 3-4 weeks
before they break out. It can live in the soil for 7-10 years. It appears
as blisters or cold sores in and around the mouth and can be transfered
to the ewes/does teats by their offspring. Humans can get sore mouth as
well. Its not life threatening and runs its course in 10-14 days (reminds
me of chicken pox). There is a vaccine, but its a LIVE vaccine and should
be adminstered by a vet. Once the herd gets over it, they are immune to
recurrence (people, too, I had it when I was a teenager and didn't get it
last year when the herd had it, but my son came down with it).

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre