[Jacob-list] goats

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Sep 4 10:54:49 EDT 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 00 07:06:48 -0700, sbennett  wrote:
>My experience with goats being aggressive towards the sheep has been
>at
>graining time only. Teaching the goats to eat in one area (or out of
>certain feeders) while the adjacent ones belong to the sheep, solved
>the
>problem. It takes about two weeks of monitoring at feeding time for
>the
>goats to get in the habit of eating in a certain place. Whoever was
>eating in wrong place, got tapped on the rear, or forcibly moved,
>when
>necessary. The sheep still play musical feeders among themselves,
>but
>tend to stay away from the goats.
>
>Debbie Bennett
>Feral Fibre

I must have had the meanest goats in the world.  What kind do you
have?  My Nubians would just pick one sheep to hate and torment that
one all day long.  Sometimes they would switch victims.  I'll have to
admit that my doe was bottle raised without any contact with other
goats until she was bred and kidded.  I probably should blame her
poor manners on poor upbringing!  But when her 5 month old doeling,
for no reason that I could fathom, charged my favorite ram lamb and
broke a horn, that was it for me.  I fed my goats in the barn by
themselves so none of this aggressive behavior was at feed time.
Does anyone know if Nubians are more aggressive than other breeds?
I really liked the milking and the milk, but felt that keeping them
together wasn't working.

Linda

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep