[Jacob-list] Scrapie & Primitive Sheep

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Tue Oct 31 16:14:20 EST 2000

That was an interesting article. My take on it: Jacobs, being a primitive
breed, may not be genotypically scrapie resistant. Ms. Morris's concern
seems to be that people will choose NOT to continue breeding primitive
sheep at the very least and at worst eradicate them.

She stresses that because of the AA RR QQ genotype these primitive breeds
contain that they are less susceptible to oxidative stress, diseases, and
certain plant toxins and agrochemicals. This suggests to me that  the
issue is more complex than one gene pair. She also mentions there may be
a link between the AA RR QQ gentotype and color. If we were to choose
only scrapie resistant animals would we be choosing to breed only white
sheep? What other problems might we see in the future? More research
definitely needs to be done.

I would prefer monitoring (by joining the Volunteer Scrapie Eradication
Program). I will be  closing my flock and removing the couple of Suffolk
ewes we bought for market lamb projects to protect my primitive sheep
from possible exposure.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre