[Jacob-list] Ivermectin

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 11:13:01 EDT 2000

Yes Mary, you do have to adjust the dose to weight on Ivermactin.  The many
formulations for different animals are just different concentrations of the
chemical.  The unit dose/per pound figures are on each concentration,  but I
stuggle with the math and weight estimations !  I use the cattle version for
most animals, and usually draw the dose with a syringe, remove the needle and
shoot in the back of the mouth.  My understanding is that the chemical is
quickly absorbed into the bloodstream from the back of the tongue, throat
area.  The topical application just sounds so much easier, but I guess I'll
stick with what works.  Because there is not so much money in the sheep
industry as say, cattle, the drug makers don't cater to us as much,  its nice
to know the "latest" in how we  all adapt to sheep uses.  Robin Casasanto