[Jacob-list] Predators

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Wed Oct 18 00:54:18 EDT 2000

Donkey's are effective gaurdians, but then again it must be the right
donkey.  I have my horses with the sheep right now, and feel better when I
hear the coyotes howling at night.  My horse like to round the sheep up into
a group, and then they pretty much leave them alone.  One of our horses was
gored by an angry mother yak when he was young, and was originally quite
worried about the Jacob ram.  But time has worked it's magic, and he can now
herd him into the group with the rest. I was a little worried when I saw the
ram herding one of the horses, but since his homones have calmed down,
everyone seems fine.  Originally the horses had a hot wire in the pasture so
the sheep could escape underneath if they needed to, but now it seems
eveyone knows their place.  There is a farm that advertised in the JSBA
newsletter that had spotted guard donkeys, which look really cute!  I guess
it just takes the right animal.  I am most impressed with the LGD in Ed's
photos, I am sure none of my menagerie would be any help during lambing.
That was a true bond!
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs