[Jacob-list] dogs and sheep - problem dog!!!

Bill Thompson emma at netins.net
Mon Oct 16 17:16:13 EDT 2000

Your pictures of the GP were fantastic.  I also have heard that GPs can be
very nasty,  but your pictures put that to rest.  Our GP has been taking
care of a flock of Canadian Geese for about 4 years, and the flock has grown
to 44 this year.  Since we live on a bend in a river, the geese come back
every year and she carries her dog food dish to the bank and dumps it to
feed them when they arrive each spring.  Since I am a little lame, I  tell
her I won't go get the dish, and after an hour or so after feeding time she
brings it back.  We finally changed to a heavy metal pan.  The male geese
fly over low, and land in the bean field on the other side of our place, the
dog goes out and lays down about 5 feet from them and waits while the
mothers take the babies swimming, when the process is over, the mother geese
honk and the fathers go back, and the dog goes back to her daytime duties.
(sleeping).
   Back to Shelly's dog,  after our neighbor's dog bit the head off of a
lamb, ( the GP was kept busy by several other dogs at the time). the GP
became over protective of all the lambs, and did nip at the shoulders of the
older sheep to keep everyone apart for awhile.  Heaven help any strange
animal who comes near the sheep now. (except the geese).  Could that have
been the case?

Lou Anne Thompson
SW Iowa