[Jacob-list] Coyote problems

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Mon Oct 16 09:45:48 EDT 2000

To say 'they' about coyotes is like using 'they' for people.  Incredible
variety.  Some coyotes kill sheep.  Coyotes are blamed for killing far more
things than they actually do.  They do eat carrion and many lambs are dead
when delivered.  Leaving dead lambs could well encourage coyotes to stay
near birthing ewes and could lead to trouble.

Around here coyotes are heard often, seen occasionally and rarely kill
livestock.  Those that do kill stock are soon wiped out.  Many that are
killing rodents are also killed.  That leaves us to trap and, too often,
poison rodents.

As I was looking out my window at my sheep one morning I noticed unusual
bird activity along a fenceline and out popped a coyote right by the house
and really close to the sheep.  I believe it was working the fenceline for
rodents.  When it saw the sheep it crouched, the sheep spotted it and lifted
to run for the barn.  The coyotes made a very short pursuit before
continuing on its way.  That behavior was pushing my limits.  Very likely if
I had had a sheep down or one who wasn't traveling well for whatever reason
it would have been in trouble.

Only once have I had a coyote kill a healthy sheep.  And the local trapper
was called, a snare set and a coyote killed at the fence spot the killer had
used to get out.  I support coyotes but try to make my sheep something they
don't predate.  Llamas, lights and radio are used at night around the corral
and a gun in the barn.

mary