[Jacob-list] Coyote problems

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 08:55:02 EDT 2000

Mary's posts about coyotes getting her lambs has gotten me worried.
Our neighbor said he shot 7 coyotes last year and almost that many each year
for the last 3 years.  He raises cows and loses a couple of calves a year to
them.  We are trying to expand our pasture area, and are soon going go be
putting up some new fencing.  I need to put in fencing that is as coyote
proof as possible.  I was planning to put woven wire fence with barbed wire
at the top.  Should that be sufficient?  We have not had problems with
coyotes in with our sheep so far as they are up near the house, mostly behind
chain link, and our dogs bark at anything that moves at night.  (Our
neighbors love us). But the new pasture will be farther away from the house.
I was wondering how the coyotes get in to the sheep.  Can they climb over
fences or under or what?  I assume the coyotes do most of their dirty work at
night.  Is that right?  Would it be advisable to put the sheep in the
barnyard every night?  Do they ever go after adult sheep, or are they more
fond of lamb?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sharon