[Jacob-list] Re: Multiple Guard Llamas

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Sun Oct 15 22:17:29 EDT 2000

When I had ONE llama it definitely GUARDED the sheep.  It would lie directly
in front of the corral gate with the sheep in the corral and him outside
WATCHING until I arrived to close the gate.  Now that I have more than one
llama they are NOT guarding the sheep.  They seem to be protecting property
and one another.  In a small very open pasture it works for me.  The sheep
are sometimes clever enough to run and stand with them when they are
frightened.  I would only recommend one llama per pasture.  A sheep trader
told me his guard llama became distracted even when he had another one in a
nearby pasture.  They just went to the nearest corner to one another.