[Jacob-list] Coyote Snares

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sat Oct 14 10:50:35 EDT 2000

Does anyone have experience snaring coyotes?  We have lost at least 25 lambs since April!  I had thought our gelded llama was supposed to prevent this.  I no longer have any faith in guard llamas.  We lost our Pyrenees several years ago when she was hit on the road, so I am not inclined to get another dog.  I have also given up on the so-called "hunters" in the area, as no one has tried to help when I have made them aware of our problem.
We have trained the sheep to come up from the pasture at night to the barnlot and then the gate is closed until morning.  Sometimes a lamb or ewe mistakenly gets shut out.  This happened two weeks ago, and a ewe lamb was taken by a coyote.
My dozen snares have arrived.  I have boiled them in baking soda as recommended.  Our wildlife officer brought a booklet showing how to set them.  We have a wide area to cover, but I hope that these combined with 4 leghold traps will help us catch these menaces.  Has anyone else caught coyotes with snares or leghold traps?

                                                                            Mary Spahr