[Jacob-list] dogs and sheep

SJohn21855 at aol.com SJohn21855 at aol.com
Sat Oct 14 06:54:46 EDT 2000

Hi all,
 There has been some question as to my keeping the dog. I have woven wire
fencing with a strand of electric on the inside, she does not get close to
the fence, she is deathly afraid of the electric fence. I keep the dog in
with the rams for protection for the rams and chickens and rabbits. She is
very attached to two of the rams and will even break up a fight between the
rams. I had a lot of chickens killed by raccoons and had a bear try to get
into the chicken shed before I got her. I no longer have any of those
problems. Before I got her she was on a chain and other dogs would come into
the yard and stay just out of her reach - she hates small four legged animals
(however, she likes the Angora rabbits - she is weird). I made the mistake of
putting her in with the ewe's for a while and one of the ewe's got out of her
jug with her little lamb and the lamb was killed. I was told by a couple that
raised sheep for years with GP's as guards that dogs are allowed one kill,
after that if they kill another one they should be put to sleep. I don't plan
on allowing the dog the chance to kill another lamb, I won't put her back in
with the ewe's. I don't understand her running the larger ram though, unless
she thought he was going to hurt her rams, she has never done that before.
She drew blood on each shoulder. Just a small puncture wound on each, so I
don't believe she meant to kill him, although, maybe I am just putting my
head in the sand and should grow up. That's why I wrote to the Jacob list, to
get comments from those of you that know more about this than I do.
 The ram is doing well, I still have him in a stall. He is eating and moving
around normally.
 Maybe this makes things a little more clear (as mud, right?).
God bless,
Shelly