[Jacob-list] Limping ewe lamb, don't laugh

Kathi Seaman kseaman at pacificrim.net
Wed Oct 11 22:53:50 EDT 2000

I recently moved my sheep from one location to another in a moving van.  We
used grain and a dog to get them into the truck.  The sheep haven't been on
grain for a couple of months now.  The day after I unloaded them I noticed
that a 6 month old ewe lamb was limping on her rear left leg.  I inspected
her feet and they looked fine.  I assumed she had been stepped on and
decided to watch her for the next few days.

With in a couple of days she was limping on her right rear, then it appeared
she just took turns limping on all four at any given time.   The ground is
not uneven or rocky so that should be the reason.  She never stopped eating
(pasture) and moved with the rest of the flock with no "prodding".

Today she seems fine.

Could it have been the grain?  Might she have eaten too much at one time and
thrown her system off?

Do sheep just get "sore" and achy like people do sometimes just not feeling
well due to a cold or something?

I do have my ram in with the flock, could that big old bully have done
something "rammy" to her to cause this?  He isn't a problem not pushy or
troublesome but he is a ram and she is a much smaller ewe lamb.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Kathi
Washington State