[Jacob-list] rams,etc.

D&K OBERLEF oberlef at desupernet.net
Sat Oct 7 10:41:47 EDT 2000

Hi Stephanie-
I think these questions are interesting.

The thing about whether the ram is responsible for sex of offspring has been on my mind also.  I have been amazed by how many breeders I have heard saying "That ewe is great. She produces two ewe lambs every year."  I am assuming what is true for humans is also true for sheep, but think it is funny that we shepherds fall into the same trap people did centuries ago.
And as far as the thing about sheep seeing in the dark...I assume so since their eyes reflect (lantern) flashlight beams.  They are color-blind like dogs.  Not sure about if the light keeps away preditors but it makes sense.  We used to keep the radio on 24 hrs in the barn.  The sheep liked it and the wild animals didn't.  Besides it makes for a friendly atmosphere.
About the linebreeding discussion.  This is another good one.  I definitely think there is a place for linebreeding, but looking back over our sheep's lines, it looks to me that this is how the breed has been handled for years. Many of you out there successfully linebreed and jacobs seem more resistant to the negative affects than some breeds.  I am amazed by the time I get back to the 4th and 5th generation and sometimes find only two or three repeated animal names.  I wonder how many sheep's backgrounds are even known back that far.  Who knows how related they are.
My question is...is there a guideline that ALBC suggests to limit repeat breeding of one animal in a rare breed.  That is, if your goal is not neccessarily line breeding but just health of the breed.  I have heard somewhere no repeated animals in the first three generations...a feat that is very difficult with Jacobs. But it does make sense in some ways since linebreeding seems to have been the standard up to this point.  I know every breeder has their own opinions about this topic, so the question probably has no real answer.  We are thinking about buying the ALBC conservation handbook on breeding for genetic diversity.  I think it would be interesting to see what is done in other rare breeds.

Thanks for the stimulating thoughts,
Katrina Lefever