[Jacob-list] Fading...

Susan L. Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Fri Oct 6 13:54:03 EDT 2000

Is there a kind and knowing soul out there who would give
the short course on the fading trait?

I have a ewe who is quite dark at the skin. When sheared, she
is about 70% black, though you get the impression, somehow, that
this is black on a white ground. I acquired her in July when she
was unsheared and appeared to be sort of tan all over. Since I
knew she had not been sheared for a couple of years, I noted this
without a lot of further thought. I notice now that she already
has a sort of "lilac" look -- largely more silvery than black,
though her side-belly wool is still quite dark. She is not going
through the sun-browning that I see on black areas of some other
sheep. She has an irregular look right now that I would describe
as a "tortoise shell" pattern as some patches have faded more
quickly than others.

Can you talk to me about this? How about her prospects as a
breeder? She has good conformation aside from her coloration,
and has a terrific head.

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      |"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA                   |stream..."