[Jacob-list] breeding

Sugar Hill Farm sugarhil at northland.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 6 09:38:40 EDT 2000

Hi Diana,

Inbreeding usually results in the best and the worst traits the line has to offer.  Many breeders will use this method to find out what is dominate in the line.

The down side to this method, is you must be prepared to cull.  That doesn't always mean the freezer to me.  You can utilize the animal for wool instead, make a wether of a ram, or take responsibility for the life of the animal so no breeding takes place.  Not always easy to do.

Even the best these breedings have to offer only show what came out on the surface.  You don't know what is lurking underneath until you breed that offspring again.

Marcia
Sugar Hill Farm, Heritage Livestock