[Jacob-list] horn question

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Wed Oct 4 07:20:54 EDT 2000

Hello Fred!

When I ran an osteological prep business we encountered those cracks in horns
often, and always made great efforts to dig out all the organic matter that
accumulates in them.
I think what happens is these instances is that only the outer, harder layers
of horn crack. The inner layers are not as keratinized and are more flexible
and pliable, and not being as rigid don't break like the outermost layers.
Because they are inseparably fused to the harder layers, they keep the horn
from breaking off completely. These "fight scars" can therefore only be
produced on those parts of the horn surrounding the bony horn core (where new
growth is occurring). Further out the horn would simply snap off.
If memory serves, after horn material is produced, it progresses though 5 or
so stages of hardening (four may be more accurate, as the outer layer is sort
of a waterproofing substance) as it grows away from the core. There really
isn't any soft tissue involvement so you won't see any bleeding etc.

Peter Spellmeyer