[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J. Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Tue Oct 3 16:23:51 EDT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, iseespots wrote:

> WHEN is it a safe time to have the "general public" out to the farm?

Isn't it strange that we live in a culture where folks are uncomfortable
with animals being animals - birthing, mating, defecating, etc. - but
these same folks don't think twice about watching TV/movies with very
graphic sex scenes involving humans, and have no problem with the kids
watching that stuff either.  During a recent Sunday School picnic at our
place some of the ladies walked down to the meadow - and Abner, our male
pygmy goat, was putting on quite a show in typical  billy goat fashion!!
 Some were horrified, I was probably a little embarassed - but it was
perfectly normal behavior for the little guy - and I had an excellent
opportunity to explain to everyone about boy goats (yeah, they still talk
about it!!!)  I can remember in high school sex ed class as we watched
the movie of a baby being born the horror some of the kids expressed - it
didn't seem all that awful to me, having seen calves, cats and dogs being
born all through my childhood.    Each time I watch the birth of an
animal I am SO amazed - it is so neat to see that little, new life start
to breathe and survive the birth process, and to see the instinct of
motherhood totally change the personality of the mother  - what a shame
that most of the people in our culture miss the opportunity to experience
that miracle.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!