[Jacob-list] lamb munchies...

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Wed Nov 22 15:53:50 EST 2000

Interesting, Fred.  I think the comparison between fat on the lamb vs fat in the lamb is an important distinction.  I would have thought there was little to no difference in the fat 'in the lamb'.  Interesting that a small difference was found. I would guess the amount of fat 'on the lamb' is not only a breed characteristic, but also is affected by the diet of the flock.  (Butchers who take the time to cut off excess fat make a difference too, I guess.) I wonder about the nutritional differences between breeds...but that is a whole other subject. (smile.)

What has turned me off in lamb up to this point is thick layers of fat 'on the lamb'.  I am not that much of a meat eater that I can just gulp it down with the meat.  Instead I have spent time painstakingly cutting the fat off the meat before preparing it.  What a pain.  In one of the old posts from the archives, Kathy of Sunbriar flock said lamb fat that has cooled is like eating wax. (In fact, she mentioned that it can be used as candle wax, since it is so hard at room temp!)  That has been my experience.

Kathy also mentioned in the same post some delicious smoked lamb...Kathy, do you (or anyone else) have any info on how it is made?  Mary M.- Nice to know you had good results with jerky.  My husband is dying to try it. Thanks. Katrina, ChicoryLane. http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm