[Jacob-list] shearing

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Sat May 27 07:43:43 EDT 2000

Hi all,

The shearing expeditions have sounded fun.  I routinely shear my flock (this
year didn't because of hand problems) with hand blades without any problems.
It didn't start out that way.

A dull pair of blades of any sort will make the person trying to do the
cutting say and think some pretty nasty things.  My blades were getting way
out of shape in the middle of one of my rams, so I shipped one of the kids
in to get a pair of kitchen scissors.  They at least got me through the area
while my hubby dutifully sharpened up the blades for me so I could finish.
I have one pair that will NOT hold an edge, and since they were my
grandfather's, I was bound and determined to make them work.  Well-----they
are historical pieces now and I am using the current ones that will hold an
edge.

I had one sheep one time (Thom---Doris' mom) that dulled THREE blades as I
worked on her.  She had the worst fleece of any Jacob I think I have ever
seen!

If you aren't going to show your fleece in some fleece judging competition,
it matters not one stitch if that fleece comes off in 50 pieces or one.
What is important is that if you are shearing your sheep and spending the
time with them in the process that you and them somewhat enjoy the process
(or make the best of a bad situation).  I have tied mine to trees, fence
posts.  I have set them on their rears and laid them down on their sides
(always watching they don't stay too long with rumen activity).

The results I have had and what I have seen with household scissors
generally are not as good as the blades will provide after a little
experience.  The blades are designed to do this job.  Sort of like using a
pocket knife to cut open a head of lettuce----will do the job, but there are
better knives on the market for the task that will make it much easier.

I have a question for those of you with much more 4-horned experience than
me------with the ram lambs------the lateral horns when they are coming
up---aren't they usually smaller than the top horns?  I have a 6-horned ewe
that has a very nicely separated 4-horned ram lamb (named Nuts because I
said, "Oh nuts!" when I realized he was not a she and had everything else
going for him) with what I am anticipating will be fusing on the lower
lateral position.  They will have to come on up further, and he was born
about 10 days ago, so there is plenty of time yet.  I am just getting
curious and antsy.

Funny thing happened as I walked into the sheep shed the other day-----there
were NO girls in there that did not have 4 horns!  That was a rather
interesting site for me, but made me think that slowly I am moving in that
direction even though I keep plenty of 2 horns around and will because of
their ease in care as well as lower cull rate.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.