[Jacob-list] Banding tup lambs

gmjohnston at scoteq.co.uk gmjohnston at scoteq.co.uk
Fri May 19 03:56:17 EDT 2000

*                     Scottish Equitable plc                        *
*      Registered Office: Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh EH12 9SE.       *
*           Regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.         *
*         A member of the Scottish Equitable Marketing Group.       *

Aaaargh.

And that's just what the lambs think. I band my tup lambs at 2-3 days old. Here
it is illegal (and you could be prosecuted for animal cruelty) if you band
after 8 days old, though plenty people here band up to a month old - ever tried
getting a flock in off a Scottish Hillside?

You need to hold the lamb up by the front legs and press his abdomen to pop the
testicles into his scrotum, then on with the applicator in one swift movement.
Julie and I (much easier with two) can have a lamb banded and on his way back
to mum within 5 seconds of catching him.

It wasn't always like this. We learned through trial and error over the course
of a few seasons. You get pretty nifty at removing bands with the scissors on
your Swiss Army knife after a testicle has shot back into the abdomen as you
put the band on.

Always check the scrotum after the band is on to make sure you have both
testicles in there.

As a male of the species, I must add that my knees are pressed firmly together
as I write.......

Gordon.