[Jacob-list] castrating lambs

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Thu May 18 16:21:59 EDT 2000

By removing the scrotum but not the testicles, the ram may be sterile after
awhile because the body heat kills the sperm.  The testicles would still be
producing testosterone tho, so the little guy will THINK he's a ram.  Does
anyone have any experience using an Emasculatome castrating tool on bigger
lambs ?  I bought one that came with very brief instuctions, and I'm not sure
of the technique.  I believe its safer to use than banding on older lambs,
or when flies are a problem.  Robin C.