[Jacob-list] rejected lamb success story

Kathi Seaman kseaman at pacificrim.net
Sun May 14 13:33:37 EDT 2000

Last week I  posted that a ewe had rejected her lamb after being jugged for
four almost five days.   The ewe didn't give small little warning butts
either, she was horrible, flinging the lamb into the air and smashing it
into the walls.

Well, since I was leaving for a WEEK and my hubby isn't all that crazy about
sheep, bottle feeding wasn't an option so.  I tied the ewe inside the stall
by her TWO horns (no choking) to the wall not a post (couldn't get tangled).
She had enough room to lay down and eat and drink.  The lamb was able to go
between stalls to get away from the butting and stomping attempts of mom.
Hubby was to hold the ewe twice a day for the lamb to nurse.  He was going
to untie her at night then tie her up again in the morning.  When he untied
her she started butting him so, you guessed it, she stayed tied for the
entire week.   After a couple of days he stopped holding the ewe because the
lamb wasn't interested in nursing, she had been nursing on her own and
wasn't hungry at my husband's feeding times.  When I returned home the
following Friday I immediately untied my ewe and turned her and the lamb out
with everyone else, I also had my Border Collie with me in an effort to keep
those maternal protective instincts going.

Mother and lamb are doing fine.  She has taken her lamb back and life is
good.  The lamb does tend to run from her when mama heads her way because
she is so used to being chased and butted but when the lamb approaches on
her own everything is fine.

I hope this success story gives others a little hope.

Kathi Seaman
Hyline Obedience Training for Dogs (HOT for DOGS)
1- 4 yr Belg. Terv. "Cash"  Am/Can CH CORVETTE'S ATM AFFAIR PT, NA, CGC
AM/CAN CDX, Multi HIT
1-3  yr PWD "Lexi" Am/Can CH Stargazer's Own Gal-Lexi CGC
1-3  yr Border Collie "Ben"  Ben JHD
Jacobs, Blackbelly and St. Croix sheep
Washington State