[Jacob-list] Freckles

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 11 09:33:29 EDT 2000

I started off with a very freckled ram, a mildly freckled ewe (both
noticeable at first shearing) whose freckles are just starting to bleed into
her wool at age three, a lilac ewe who is just showing freckles on her skin
now at three and a ewe still clear of freckles at three - with no leg spots.
My clear ewe so far has produced only clear offspring with no leg spots
(total of three using two different rams).  Her yearling daughter is still
clear with no leg spots and has twins this year with no leg spots but it's
hard to say whether they will develop freckles later.  My freckled ewe and
the freckled ram produced a daughter that has ticking in her wool noticeable
at the first shearing - her freckling at skin level was apparent at just a
couple weeks of age.

It seems to me there is a lot of variation in freckling and how it shows up
on individual sheep.  My ticked yearling has unfreckled white areas on her
legs, undocked tail and face although the once-white areas on her body look
like a German Shorthaired Pointer after shearing.  An ewe I bought last year
seems to a have a little freckling on the skin on her face giving her a
slightly dirty faced look but not much on her body and none extending to her
fiber.  I have yet to see black fiber coming from white skin though.

I found an interesting site on sheep color genetics from another list I'm
on.  You can change the number at the end for different traits.  The
following site addresses ticking in particular.

http://www.angis.org.au/bin/Databases/BIRX/birx_doc?mis+20

I really enjoy these Jacobs because of the variation not only sheep to
sheep, but sometimes year to year too.  It sometimes seems overwhelming with
so many traits to watch and so much to learn but it is an exciting and
rewarding challenge.

Heather Hettick - Moonstruck Jacob sheep
Creston, Ohio

OSU ATI
Hettick.1 at osu.edu