[Jacob-list] freckles?

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Wed May 10 20:00:23 EDT 2000

In a message dated 5/10/00 5:33:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wolfpen at alltel.net writes:

>  There is certainly alot of information out there about freckles.  I'd heard
>  rumors as to the correlation between leg markings and freckles during
>  earlier discussions.  I do have one ewe (she's 5 years old now) with black
>  feet, hock and knee patches and no freckles.  Until this year, when she was
>  bred to a ram from a heavily freckled line, she has never had a freckled
>  lamb. This year she had twins, one with no leg markings and no freckles and
>  one with all the extras plus freckles.

Hock and knee patches is not what I consider a lot of leg coloring. I have
several Jacobs with the usual hock/knee patches that have no freckling. I
have twins this year with a whole series of dime-size spots running up and
down the backs of all four legs. When they're both moving away from me in the
pasture, it's a real psychedelic experience.

Two years ago I used a ram with next to no freckling and all white legs over
freckled ewes. He sired a number of ewes with the all white legs and, so far,
no freckling. Some of them, in turn, were bred to freckled rams. I'm waiting
to see if the lambs will develop the freckling. I, also, have had twins, one
with leg spotting/freckles and one without, when only one parent was
freckled. For me, half the fun of having Jacobs is experimenting and seeing
what I get. Someday, when we have all the answers, maybe it won't be as much
fun as it is now.

>  Also - does the black spotting on the skin always lead to black fiber?  I
>  have one with black skin spots, but it hasn't shown up in the fiber yet.
>  He's two.

I recall Janine Fenton saying that  freckling may, or may not, show up in the
fiber.

>  When people say that freckles show up in the first shearing - does that
mean
>  they actually manifest themselves around that time or is this the first
that
>  they are noticed?  I'm just wondering if I grab this boy at 6 months and do
>  a complete "freckle search" and don't find any, and he doesn't show the
>  darkening face or legs, is there a good chance that he will not be
freckled,
>  even though his parents are?

It's there before shearing. Some people probably don't notice it, or it is
skin pigment only and not noticeable until the wool comes off.

 Of course by then his horns will probably be
>  on backwards or something.

There is always something, isn't there, to keep us from breeding that perfect
Jacob.

Joan Franklin