[Jacob-list] freckles?

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Tue May 9 17:03:54 EDT 2000

We had our first May lamb born here this past weekend.  Just imagine my
surprise and delight (ha!) to find another RAM.  Oh well, this must be my
payback for gloating over all the ewes born last year.

Anyway,  this ram is from a pretty heavily freckled mother and a moderately
freckled sire.  I had expected some freckling.  He was born with very
tightly crimped wool, so I can easily see the pink skin. Before when I've
had a lamb, I have always been able to tell if there was freckling or not,
even if  I've had to look closely.  I don't see one single freckle on this
lamb. With his skin so easy to see, I've given him a thorough exam.  Do
freckles sometimes show up later?  When? How much later?

This lamb's parents both have soft, silky wool, but neither is tightly
crimped like he is.  I think the stork must have dropped him in the wrong
cabbage patch.  Jacob genetics certainly are interesting.