[Jacob-list] Scrapie & correspondence course

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Tue May 9 15:46:12 EDT 2000

The Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival was wonderful - and a big
congratulations to the winners in the Jacob show!!!  The Jacob sheep were
definitely the most beautiful animals there!!!  And meeting some you and
now being able to put a face with a name was great - it will make reading
this list more interesting.   Rich and I are convinced that some of the
nicest people in the world are "sheep people."

While there we attempted to gain as much knowlege as we possibly could
regarding sheep diseases - Scrapie, OPP, Johne's, etc., and found out
that some states offer free testing of these diseases.  Those of you here
in PA will be interested to know that we do have a Scrapie Flock
Certification program and our Lancaster Penn State Cooperative Extension
is hosting a meeting regarding this on May 22, 7:30 p.m. with Amy
Nesselrodt, DVM (USDA Vet) as the speaker.    While Scrapie has not been
a problem in Jacob flocks, I plan to attend this meeting to glean more
information - my thinking is that if I enroll in that program which would
cover the farm charge for the vet to come here for a flock check, I could
then at the same time request  blood draws for some of the other tests,
i.e. OPP -- which in turn lowers my out of pocket costs.    However, my
information at this time is sketchy - I have no idea what being in the
program involves - and whether my idea  is feasible or permitted.   If
any of you are interested in this meeting, please contact me for more
details, or contact Chester Hughes, Livestock Extension Agent at
(717)394-6851, or contact the Extension Office in your locale.  Also, are
there any veterinarians lurking out there in cyber space in my area who
would sell me the syringes/tubes for me to do my own blood draw, who
would spin down the blood to be sent to the lab, and allow me to send it
to a lab of my choice??    Spending more on testing that the animal is
worth doesn't  seem to be good fiscal management - and I suppose that is
why most flocks have never been tested for some of these things.

Also, Wayne Van Valkenburg - since your state of New Jersey does multiple
testing for other diseases in conjunction with the Scrapie program, would
you be able to forward to me specific information of how your program is
conducted, or where to call to get that information.  Information from
any other states who conduct disease testing as part of their Scrapie
program  would be helpful to me as I try to figure out where Pennsylvania
is in the big picture.   Thank you.

Also,  FYI - the University of Wyoming offers a sheep correspondence
course - it is non credit but does qualify for the Professional Teaching
Standards Credit.  According to the information I have received this
course is made up of 12 chapters dealing with a variety of issues -
facilities, nutrition, reproduction health & disease, wool, economics,
marketing, grazing, predators & orphan lambs.  I have not taken this
course or known anyone who has, but wanted to pass along this
information.  The cost is $40 and is available now at the Laramie County
Extension Office, 310 West 19th, Suite 100, Cheyenne, WY  82001 or call
Phil Rosenlund at (307) 633-4383.  This information was part of a mailing
I received from our local Extension Agent.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.