[Jacob-list] Sick lamb

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Mon May 8 07:25:19 EDT 2000

Tina,

I so sorry to hear about your sick lamb.  I hope it recovers. It's really a
good idea to get used to giving your own shots.  Not only will it save you
money, but sometimes the vet just isn't available when someone needs a shot.

I think the best place to see lamb pictures is at Mark and Cathie's website.
I'm not sure if they have ram lamb posted yet.  They are at
www.jacobsheep.com  and just follow to the lamb pictures.  I have a few of
mine posted at http://members.xoom.com/wolfpen/lambs/  The two older lambs
on my page (the ones with obvious horns) are 7 and 6 week old four horned
rams. Could you describe the "knot" that you are talking about.  I had one
once that had a forehead that looked deformed, but it was just a case of
severe forward horns.  It was obvious at birth.

I'd say that if you don't have horns on a 3 month old lamb, you're not going
to get them.  I've not a had a polled lamb, so I could very well be wrong on
this.  My 5 week old four horned ewe has visible (although small) horns.
The tops were apparent by touch at birth and the laterals soon after.

Best of luck with your lamb.