[Jacob-list] Sick lamb

The Blacks theblacks at interisland.net
Mon May 8 00:44:17 EDT 2000

We just lost a yearling ewe to tetnus.  When I found her I thought the same
thing that you did because she was on her side kind of down hill and she was
stiffening up and frothing at the mouth.  Our vet told me that we should
have given her a tetnus shot 1 month before and then a booster 3 wks later
before we did anything to her that would break the skin.
   We are use to a well managed flock I guess because we always band our
lambs tails before they are a week old - this ewe was over a year and still
had a very long tail - most of the yonger animals that we got did. While we
have the lambs for tail banding we also give them their tenus shots - its
just easier.  The vet said the reason that our yearling ewe came down with
tetnus and our lambs do not is because the lambs are still nursing and
getting the immunities from mom but you the shot we give really does no good
until about a month later and thats with a booster.
If I where you I would have my vet take another look at the situation -
maybe they weren't thinking about tenus?  One more thing that I learned from
this whole experience was that where there is or has been horse manure there
is tetnus and that is probably how we lost our girl.  I spent $100 trying to
save this ewe but the hardest part about losing her was that she had been
threw so much in her short life and it only took my ignorance to kill her.
I have learned my lesson the hard way and that will never happen again!
I hope everything turns out for the best - Good luck.
Tiar Black
Friday Harbor WA