[Jacob-list] horn question

linda wolfpen at alltel.net
Fri Jun 30 07:50:21 EDT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:32:20 -0400, shepherd wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Speaking of slamming animals in gates.....I left for AGM with one of
>my 4-horned ewe lambs looking pretty nice.  Horn separation
>excellent, conformation going well, fleece looking good.....  I came
>home, and it looks as if somebody SAT on her head.  The top horns
>are not parallel to the ground, but durn near.  She looks weird now,
>and is in the 3.5 month range in age.  The horns are semi-anchored
>down (much better than some 4-horned youngsters I have seen), and
>don't act like they have been dislodged.  She is one of several
>little ones that like to sleep under my hay bunks, and she could be
>compressing the horns all day long----nobody else has ever produced
>the horn deviation like this, though.
>
>I have no idea what the grandsire to this ewe lamb looked like, but
>his son certainly did not have upward mobility to his top horns.
>They curled way low and out like a good 2-horned would (picture 2
>sets of 2 horns on 1 ram for horn conformation).
>
>Mary Ellen
>ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
>Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
>and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
>Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.

I've had a few where the angle of the horn where it meets the head
has changed drastically, almost overnight.  Of course, when you
change that angle the whole horn moves. I had a ewe lamb that really
looked like one lateral would grow into her cheek.  The growth angle
from her head straightened out and became more closely horizontal.
The horn still curves toward the cheek, but actually keeps getting
farther away. At two years old it has never needed trimming.

Linda
-- linda, wolfpen at alltel.net on 30/06/2000