[Jacob-list] horn question

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Fri Jun 30 07:32:20 EDT 2000

Hi all,

Speaking of slamming animals in gates.....I left for AGM with one of my 4-horned ewe lambs looking pretty nice.  Horn separation excellent, conformation going well, fleece looking good.....  I came home, and it looks as if somebody SAT on her head.  The top horns are not parallel to the ground, but durn near.  She looks weird now, and is in the 3.5 month range in age.  The horns are semi-anchored down (much better than some 4-horned youngsters I have seen), and don't act like they have been dislodged.  She is one of several little ones that like to sleep under my hay bunks, and she could be compressing the horns all day long----nobody else has ever produced the horn deviation like this, though.

I have no idea what the grandsire to this ewe lamb looked like, but his son certainly did not have upward mobility to his top horns.  They curled way low and out like a good 2-horned would (picture 2 sets of 2 horns on 1 ram for horn conformation).

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.