[Jacob-list] horn question

linda wolfpen at alltel.net
Thu Jun 29 18:07:01 EDT 2000

I've been playing with a new email client.  I thought I'd sent this,
but I don't think my addresses imported properly.  So if this
question comes through twice, I apologize.

I have a yearling ewe with quite nice horns.  A few years ago,
I quit
keeping any lambs without all strong horns.  This girl was
born with
nice, firmly attached horns - never had a wobbly little scur
on her
head.  About six months ago, our maniac Nubian hit her and
broke a
lateral. Then I slammed her head in the gate (not on
purpose!)  a few
months ago and really tore off the other.  Wouldn't you know
- I've
never slammed a poor horned animal in the gate.  Any way,
when I had
some lambs with wobbler horns and those horns would
break, they would
grow back pretty quickly.  These horns seem to be growing
back pretty
slowly, although both are quite thick, neither seems to be
getting
much longer.  The horns were about 6 inches long when they
were
broken.  When mature horns are broken do they sometimes
grow back
very slowly, if at all???

Linda
-- linda, wolfpen at alltel.net on 29/06/2000