[Jacob-list] Lamb Show

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Thu Jun 8 12:18:58 EDT 2000

I saw my first colored Dorset at the Market Lamb Show last week. The
black and white spots caught my eye, she was sheared and fitted for show,
all freckled where she wasn't solid black, (have to be born after Dec 15
and weigh in at a 100 lbs. minimum) she was as big or bigger than most of
my breeding ewes. Then the girl that was walking her, turned her around
and the head of the ewe was totally wrong - head shaped like a Suffolk,
Roman nose, polled, of course, but the eye patches and nose patch were
there, no collar around the neck, just big black spots and body
confirmation was wrong, can't put my finger on it, she just looked heavy
and straight backed.

I took some of my Jacob ewe lambs to show in Open Class All Wool Breeds.
Mine were the ONLY wool breeds at the show! The judge said, no one had
brought wool breed lambs to the show in years and he was going to have to
brush up on wool standards. He judged them based on confirmation for meat
production, but the ewe lamb he awarded 1st place, does have the best
fiber. I'm finally making headway! Can't wait for the County Fair (same
judge).

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre