[Jacob-list] Re: Fly control

cagco at penn.com cagco at penn.com
Wed Jun 7 23:17:41 EDT 2000

I have to agree completely with Robin about using chickens for fly, and
other insect, control.  While my wife and I are still in the process of
trying to build our first flock of sheep, we have been witness to very
successful uses of poultry for insect control.  While our experiences
have not involved free ranging chickens, we do a pasture rotation with
mobile hutches and pens, which has worked very well, particularly with
Japanese beetle population control.  We should be receiving our first
ducks and geese next week, and, if successful in locating any, we will
shortly be purchasing some Bourbon Red and Royal Palm turkeys to add to
our anti-insect army.  (We are trying to locate rarer breeds, like
Jacobs, for our farm, rather than the genetically over-engineered things
readily available.)  These new additions will be allowed a significant
range to wander, with portable hutches without fenced areas around
them.  This is more insect control:  geese will help weed the garden and
the turkeys are great at keeping insects off the corn.

Cliff Grunstra
Wycliffe Estate Farm