[Jacob-list] lilac eye rings and fly control

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 20:23:36 EDT 2000

I have a soft gray lilac ewe that I bred to a pale gray-brown lilac ram.  The
resulting ewe lamb has soft gray ewe rings, darker gray body spots, and ink
black leg markings.  I guess the lilac coloring can be as varied as the Jacob
breed !   This is not possible for everyone, but a simple non-toxic method of
fly control is Bantam chickens.  I've kept them for years and they solved my
fly problems.  They free range in among the sheep and scratch the fly larva
out before they have a chance to be flies.  Some bantam breeds are rather
nervous, but the "feather footed" breeds are generally calm and easy going.
They also eat almost all of the ticks around here,  which are quite a problem
in my area.  My neighbor has to pull several off her dogs every day, but my
two big dogs get maybe 2or 3 a year !   Guinea hens are also good for fly
control , but more of a problem to free-range.   Robin