[Jacob-list] Flystrike

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 10:46:34 EDT 2000

Fred here, Joan's grooming horses.

Fly strike is scary here with the extremely warm weather and no winter fly
egg kill...I think we had two days of below 32 degrees this winter.

We band tails to avoid the open wound and don't cut anybody (except shearing)
until the "cool" weather sets in.  Anytime anybody gets cut, breaks a horn to
cause bleeding...open wound condition; we spray with the purple stuff.

I think watching for signs of problems or potential problems is the best
course.  Lambs on creep may get the runs...fly problem, nursing ewes on rich
grass may get the runs..fly problem, etc.  We watch for the runs.

Ivomec not only gets worms but does some fly control problem control as well.
 We even hose off rear ends that get "messy".

Watch for sheep that put there heads down and stamp their feet and shake
there heads.  They may be experiencing fly eggs in their nose...like horses
leave evidence of bots on their leg(s)...and the sheep may get a realllly
snotty nose.

Scary but we watch for it and are not afriad to use repelents for problems.

Fred Horak