[Jacob-list] Flystrike scare

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 1 18:37:37 EDT 2000

Katherine and all,

I had my first case of flystrike this past spring in a 10 day old lamb---not
pretty, and it was simply luck and close contact with my sheep that
facilitated me catching it in the first stages.  Nevertheless, it was GROSS,
and I have eyed my other sheep around here very closely since that time.
Flies have been rampant here since early to mid February.

I have had the most problems, though, with a little SHETLAND ram lamb.  They
do not need docking.  At least he is straightening up now, but I am still
not 100% he is out of the woods with that potential.  Another dose of screw
worm spray all over him and catch him up to make sure he is still nursing
some and he should be good to go.

Tails are not the culprit.  Wetness, muck, and a place to grow babies is the
problem.

MEH
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.