[Jacob-list] Lilac vs greying

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Sat Jul 15 15:07:51 EDT 2000

Finally got my PEI imports shorn.  I suspected two of them were lilacs, although with the long wool before shearing it was hard to tell whether they were lilac, greying, or just undifferentiated spots, black/white mixes.

Now that they ar shorn, it is clear that the dark wool close to the skin is a dark slate blue.  They look dull black when standing alone, but next to all my other sheep, they look bluish.  Their face colorings seem to be the same as their body colors, and an ever-so slightly lighter shade than my other gals.

Is there a technical difference between greying and being lilac?  If it's of any worth to answering this, both of these sheep have marbled eyes - one has one eye that's 1/3 blue, the other has eyes that are 2/3 blue.  The first is 4 years old and 4-horned with mostly white legs; the second is 3 years old and two-horned, with s significant amount of coloration on legs.  Horns on both are all dark.

thanks

thom (pictures coming, some day..)