[Jacob-list] Fleece Types

linda wolfpen at alltel.net
Fri Jul 7 07:59:31 EDT 2000

I think a common idea is not so much that a shorter fleece is softer,
but that a crimpier fleece is softer. In a crimpy fleece, the staple
length is usually shorter, although the fiber length may be similar.
 That is, when you stretch the staple out, it may turn out to be
almost as long as the "longer" staple.
I don't believe that crimpy = softness, nor do I believe that short =
softness.

My own preference for Jacob fleece is a longer, silkier fleece.
(unlike
the sample I sent you, Mary) as those are the characteristics of the
fleece that attracted me to the breed.  But, I do find that using a
soft,
crimpy ram had crossed well on my ewes.  And that using another ram
with a long and very silky fleece on that ram's daughters has done
very well.  Within the parameters of the breed standards, we
certainly have alot of room to play with fleece!

I haven't had any sheep shed.  And I have had fleeces from hairballs
to very soft.  So I have no thoughts on that.

I just went through some fleece samples.  One of my softest is a five
inch fleece. Soft, silky, with some bounce, but not very crimpy. One
of coarsest (comparatively - this is still a soft fleece) is less
than three inches.  Although that fleece is so crimpy that it
stretches to over 4 inches. It spins into a super elastic yarn.  I
maybe should substitute "handle" for "soft" here.  I haven't had
these sample tested, have no idea of the micron count, and am going
by what feels nice to the touch.  I spin and knit up samples, so I
can fondle a swatch as well as the fiber. I think when JSBA had a
number of samples tested, it did not always follow that "handle" and
"fineness" went together.

I think the idea that a short fleece is a softer fleece is incorrect.
And I also think that saying a crimpy fleece is softer is not
supported by my experience or my reading. ( Anyone who hasn't had the
pleasure of reading "In Sheep's Clothing" is missing a treat.)

PS I have a small bit of very fine merino.  This stuff is so fine as
to almost be invisible. Compared to that, all Jacobs are medium to
coarse.

Linda

http://members.xoom.com/wolfpen