[Jacob-list] Introduction

SteffArce at aol.com SteffArce at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 22:50:03 EDT 2000

Hi I am Stephanie, new to the Jacob Sheep in the past year. Actually new to
sheep altogether. I live in Central Oregon. Have made my horse corral into
the sheep corral. Presently working on 2 acres of pasture, had mostly
foxtails this first year. So the sheep are still in the corral. I have a 2H
ram and 5 ewes (3 are just 3 months old).
I did my fist shearing last Feb. I have no one to tell me about the quality
of wool I have. Will put the Ram's wool and 1 ewe wool into the Fair in
August and see what they say.
Have already experienced a difficult birth (due to a big lamb), lost one of
the twins. Have lost a 2mo old ram, broke his neck. Then my favorite 4mo ram
died of foamy type bloat. At the present I am quite paranoid of the 3  ewe
lambs dying. This has been really hard. I have one ewe lamb with bloat, I
stopped the alfalfa. Her bloat is very mild now.  I have the 3 ewe lambs
separated from the adult ram and 2 adult ewes. Everyone is being fed good
quality orchard hay.

Would bloat guard be something to use?

Is there a place you can send wool from 3 adult Jacob's for a blanket?

Hope y'all are open to a lot of questions. So glad to have found this list.
I've had great support from a couple of breeders who have had patience and
good enough to answer my questions.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Stephanie Arceneaux
SteffArce at aol.com