[Jacob-list] Lamb Meat

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Mon Dec 18 20:21:24 EST 2000

We had lambs slaughtered in September for the first time. We took them
up to the shop and got them from the truck to the holding pen. I asked
the butcher when we should pick them up, thinking he'd say "tomorrow
afternoon". He answered, "In a week."

I asked why and he said he hangs the carcass before cutting and
wrapping. He usually waits about a week for cattle but as sheep were
smaller, he figured about five days hanging would be enough. It turned
out to be excellent lamb meat, very mild and tender.

I never ate lamb as a child, just not part of our family diet. I had
lamb a few times before this and generally found it a bit strong
tasting.

Seems like my experience is just the opposite of Melanie. probably due
to our different experience with lamb meat.

Paul