[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Sat Dec 16 11:38:39 EST 2000

Lack of height certainly isn't my problem but yet I wanted a means for
restraining individuals and small groups for doctoring.  My device is two
long gates hung off of a single substantial post.  In normal use they both
close corral openings but are at right angles to one another when closed.

I noticed that really one of those gates could be opened up against its
side...the INside and the gate normally used for the adjoining corral could
be swung around to shut the perpendicular opening.  So then I built a short
inner fence that the 'open' gate would barely swing past if swung towards
its normal closed position.  That short inner fence acts like the edge of
the pie plate and the two gates are like the cut lines for the pie.  The
sheep are in the slice of pie.  That and a halter with a snap closure and
even doctoring and worming a group goes WELL singlehandedly.  Also for a
larger group of sheep than will fit into the space I can release through one
gate while retaining the unworked group in the corral waiting their turn.
The things we come up with AFTER being thrashed by animals.  This set up was
a product of having to doctor a wild pinkeyed calf by myself.  RIGHT.  The
thing to watch it seemed was not to stick your arm throught the gate in a
way that it could be leveraged by the critter in question.  With the sheep
of course I'm just wading in and for simple tasks just need a marking crayon
and whatever tool or med is in use.

mary