[Jacob-list] Adaptability/Climate

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Tue Dec 12 11:21:08 EST 2000

In upstate NY (Albany), my sheep would often choose to lie in the fields even
in a blizzard, looking like so many snow drifts.  They were much less
enchanted with high winds or sleet and would retreat to their barns which
were open facing south.  The Shetlands liked being outdoors in bad weather
even more than the Jacobs and chose to eat snow rather than drink water.
Many of the Jacobs also ate snow instead of drinking the water always
available to them.  I had to keep the girls penned near lambing time, because
many of the ewes would select the farthest, snowiest corner of their 5-acre
pastures in which to lamb.  The rams were always out looking for something to
graze in the foulest weather even though they had ample hay.  Amazingly,
everyone...except me... stayed very healthy during these long winters.

Jeanne Massey
Marsh View Farm