Fw: [Jacob-list] Modern Jacobs

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Fri Dec 8 15:57:49 EST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Simmons <creagchild at monad.net>
To: linda <wolfpen at rabun.net>
Date: Friday, December 08, 2000 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] Modern Jacobs

Linda-

I was simply giving examples of what has happened to "some" breeds.  The standardm thanksgiving-breed turkey is no longer able to mate, period.  Of course, there are other breeds that DO mate, many of them rare (Bourben red, for instance). The danger I alluded to is when you standardize a breed for the purposes of producing such a commercial stock animal that you lose other attributes in the process.  I did not mean that *no* turkeys can breed. I stand by my assertion that the standard Giant White can *not* breed by itself.

As for horses, I am only quoting my neighbor -who raises american quarterhorses-has told me about the pitfalls of over-standarization.

thom