[Jacob-list] Hescock flock

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 23:45:51 EST 2000

Fred Horak here.

difference beteen "primtive American Jacobs" and "improved American Jacobs"
so we might be able to use these terms in a non-subjective manner."  I am not
pretending to define this explicitly but here is some sources one might
consider.

The ALBC (1997) describes the Jacob imported to North America as the JACOB
AMERICAN; as distinguished from the JACOB in England which is considered
"improved".  Thus two terms: improved and unimproved.  Improvement, in animal
science, is to select for a desired trait which has apparent commercial value.

For example, Todd Hescock selected his sheep for importation in May-June
1976.  Todd selected the Jacob for their commercial potential.  At the time,
Todd describes there being 10,000 Jacobs in Britain; considered by some to be
a novelty breed but beginning to have commercial potential in England and in
Europe.

The "commercialization" track was specifically selected by the JSS in 1969 as
the way to conserve the breed.  The commentary in "Oryx", a conservation
journal, was that the primitive Park Sheep would be lost through
commercialization.  The favorite cross was to the Horn Dorset; many of these
crosses are described in the JSS "Jacob Journal".  The process and the
consequences were detailed in a number of articles in the Spring, Summer ,
and Fall 1998 JSS Journals. "The Jacob has improved out of all recognition
since 1969 when the JSS was formed through improved husbandry and selective
breeding." (Jean Blacknell, JSS Field Officer).  The JSS asks "why do we now
have white and striped horns, pink noses, striped hooves".

Jacob American is the Jacob breed nomenclature designated by the ALBC to
distinguish the Jacob in England from that imported to North America; i.e,
the Jacob American is probably more like the 1960 English Jacob.   The Jacob
American is purposely not cross bred for scale as was done in England but has
kept its more deer like qualities and not a lot of attention has been paid to
conformation, it is not highly managed and the breed standard is rather
basic.

The English Jacob breed standard promotes standardization and conformation,
e.g., black on legs is discouraged, lilacs are apparently not registered,
etc.  Our cow-hocked rear ends completely fail the British standard etc.

The breed conserved and registered in the JSC and JSBA is the Jacob American
(no primitive or improved).  The term Jacob American is simply used to define
the unimproved Jacob.  In a sense, if the American Jacob is traced to an
import, say thirty years ago, and has not been crossed ("improved") it might
be considered part of the 1960 primitive stock prior to the wave of English
improvement for commercialization.  You might want to look at Ingrid
Painter's book and the AMBC records.  The tapes by Edd Bissell and Susanna
Davy are also informative.

The true Jacob American is considered  "unimproved" (often called
"primitive") becasue it hasn't been crossed in North America for commercial
improvement and requires so few management inputs. (Jacob American should not
be confused with black and white sheep with horns).  In one sense Todd's
Jacobs were probably "improved" Sottish Jacobs and clearly his intent was to
commercialize the breed (Sheep Production - July-August 1984). In fact he
felt bad because his flock was seven years behind the Scottish flocks by the
time he got his Jacobs to VT.

Though they are considered Jacob American by the ALBC, Todd's sheep may be
considered improved by the strict constructionist; say, as opposed to a
Reynolds or Zoo import in the l960's which the strict constructionist might
consider "unimproved"...but perhaps not primitive.  The strict
constructionist might look to the descriptions and pictures by Ewes (1913)
and Roberts (1926) as better examples of the original Jacob or the primtive
type classed as Park Sheep.

Which brings up another subjective issue: the degree to which a Jacob breeder
 "improves" the Jacob American; not by crossing but by selecting a desired
trait.  I can build an "improved" looking Jacob by selecting larger parents,
larger bones, or I can build a "primitive" type by selecting smaller boned,
deer like Jacobs for breeding.

Which leads to another issue for Jacob breeders that might look to
registration papers as an indication of "primitve" rather than actual
pedigree/parentage.  Since the registries are basically open, sheep with
unknown backgrounds are entered based upon producing a couple of lambs from a
couple of different breedings; this is called a progeny test or lettered
generations but is not "scientifically" a proof of anything other than
parentage.  If a Fieldwood is crossed with a Hescock is it "improved" or
"unimproved"?  Where does Ari show up?

Good night.  Fred Horak