[Jacob-list] lamb products

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 09:36:13 EST 2000

Hi Sue,

This year I had an older (2 years)  Shetland ram butchered and had my
talented local butcher turn him into mild Italian sausage and plain breakfast
sausage which was entirely packaged in 1 1/2 pound packages for the
freezer...a LOT of packages.  I gave many packages for gifts...to those souls
willing to try lamb!  I have made pitas with sauteed onions and peppers plus
sour cream using the breakfast sausage.  They taste sort of Middle Eastern
and quite good.  I have made little meatballs with the Italian sausage that I
brown and cook in a pan of marinara sauce.  Since the sausages are very lean,
I like the results.  I think the talent of your butcher in adding spices and
herbs is important.  I live in an area where there is much work for
butchers...farmed deer, buffalo, cattle, sheep, goat, etc....so I suppose
this man has to be fairly accomplished.   He also made pepperoni out my
friend's Jacob crossbred sheep which was tasty and lean.

Although I used to love plain roasted lamb and lamb chops, I now only eat
lamb that does not smell like lamb.  There is something weird that has
happened with the odor/meat thing since I began raising sheep.

Jeanne Massey
Marsh View Farm